Sunday, March 17, 2013

Unsettled World




John 12:1-8
Fourth Sunday in Lent:  March 17, 2013

[our congregation sang the hymn, "Unsettled World," hence the title.]

What was Mary doing?  Seriously.  I know the symbolism…I know that we’re supposed to understand this as a foreshadowing of Jesus’ death on the cross, and see that Mary understood something others, didn’t.  I get all that.  But still, I just don’t understand what she was doing.  This action was of such adoration that it’s outside my comfort zone and realm of understanding.

To me, Jesus’ life was about the poor, the hurting, the outcast.  Jesus was about releasing the captives, freeing the oppressed, bringing down the powerful and making the last first.  I know Judas had ulterior motives…I know he wasn’t actually concerned about the poor…but I am.  At least I think I am.  For me, being Christian has everything to do with responding to poverty, healing the hurting, finding the lost and lonely, and making peace.  And here’s the thing:  Being Christian, for me, has little to do with kneeling at Jesus’ feet and anointing them with oil.  It doesn’t even have to do with some kind of modern day, non-literal equivalent of this. 

I’m not devotional – not in the high church sense of the word.  This passage seems to say:  if you truly understood Jesus, what he was about, you would love him…spread costly perfume on him and wipe it with your hair because you love him so much it almost hurts.  All for its own sake.  Not because it will affect change in the world; just because.  That’s what I get out of Mary’s action.  And if that’s the message we’re supposed to get, and I think it’s at least possible that it is, my confession is: I don’t think I can do it. 

Mary, Peter, James, John:  These people, I think, really loved Jesus.  Not in the way I mean when I say I love Jesus. I mean I love his life, what he was about.  I can’t love him the same way Mary and Peter and John did, right?  It would be like saying I can love Mother Teresa the same way I love my friends.  I can respect Mother Teresa, love her life, be inspired by her, but I don’t love her in any kind of personal, intimate way.  I can’t.  I didn’t know her in a personal and intimate way.

Not so with my friends.  I love my friends because they care for me, we have spent intimate time together, I know them deeply and love who they are, what they believe, what we’ve been through.  But this love developed because they are here.  They are tangible and interactive; our relationship is mutual.  I hug them, spent time eating with them, see their faces, hear the pain and joy in their voices, listen to them talk to me.  I can’t love Jesus that way.  But, I think his friends did.  I think Mary and Martha and Lazarus did because he was their friend.

And Jesus thought this love mattered…that what Mary did mattered; significantly.  Why?

Well, maybe because the poor will always be with us.  I don’t know exactly what Jesus meant by this – the poor will always be with you.  I don’t know what it meant in relationship to Mary anointing his feet.  But, regardless, it’s true, right?  This is an unsettled world.  None of us needs me to go on and talk about what that means and what that looks like, because we already know.  This is an unsettled world. 

We are all looking for ways to face this world and respond faithfully.  And to do this we use Jesus’ life as a guide.  My religion is mostly, if not entirely, an ethical system.  I use the scriptures to help me form my values – values that then inform, I hope, my actions.  I feel faithful when I act “right” – in accordance with what I believe.  This is an ethics-based faith. 

But our bible gives us a picture of something different, or at least something more.  It seems like faith is also about connecting personally with the divine.  Love is all over the place in the gospel of John.  And there is an order between love and action.  Love of the divine leads to faithful action.  Not teachings, not commandments, certainly not fear.  Love is what makes it possible for the people in the bible to follow the teachings of Jesus.  For John, the love between the human beings – the love Jesus has for his friends and vice versa – seems to be the core – the seed – the basis for everything else.

Jesus speaks often of the relationship between loving him keeping the commandments.  “If you love me,” he says later in the gospel, “you will keep my commandments.”  And later, “Abide in me as I abide in you,” he says.  Live in me, rest in me.  

“Abide in me;” he says.  This is my commandment.  Abide in me so that you will love one another as I have loved you.”  These are not moral commandments.  He does not say, follow this list because that is how you love one another.  He says that in order to know what it’s like to love others, you must love me and rest in my love for you. 

But how do we do this?  Is this available to us without the person Jesus being physically with us.  Those of us steeped in the liberal, protestant tradition aren’t necessarily great at the love of Jesus.  We don’t spend a lot of time abiding in him in any kind of intimate way just for its own sake. We come to church to see how the bible applies to our lives, right?  When I was looking for a church 7 ½ years ago, every church profile I read said that they wanted someone who would preach about how to apply the bible to our lives today.  Every church...this church included.  Many of us don’t really come just to abide – to love – to pour out our love on Jesus…on the divine, and I would argue it’s because he’s not here. Because we’re not sure how. 

So how do we get beyond this ethical religion:  How do we love Jesus?

Are we supposed to sing praise songs that repeat over and over again our adoration of Jesus?  Are we supposed to lift our hands toward heaven while we sing, sway back and forth?  Are we supposed to get down on our knees in adoration?  Maybe.  I really don’t know.  None of these have exactly “worked” for me. 

The best I can come up with is that in order to abide, in order to love for the sake of loving, we need to stop.  Just stop.  And connect with something…something that moves us to love God as the early disciples loved Jesus.  We need to let go of the idea that worship is always a means to the end of acting “rightly.”  The unsettled world will be there when we leave.  But for this time, maybe we are to just stop, pull away from the world, let ourselves be lost in wonder and praise. 

It’s true Jesus is not here.  I’m not sure I can do this.  But, later in John, when Jesus says again that he is leaving, he also promises that God will send the Spirit in his place.  God will send the movement and breath of the divine…of love.  Maybe we can connect intimately with the spirit.  I’m not entirely sure how, but it probably takes time, trust, listening, waiting.  It likely means pausing from our lives busy with trying to settle and unsettled world…at least for a moment.

I have generally resisted this idea because, in part, it feels escapist to me.  If it’s only about loving God and loving Jesus – resting in the spirit of love – then isn’t that ignoring the fact that we do need to respond to the unsettled world full of hunger and pain.  Isn’t this escape what we see often in churches that focus on loving Jesus, swaying, lifting hands, and singing adoring songs? 

But I know this congregation, and we are not in danger of using religion as an escape hatch from understanding and responding to a hurting world.  I think we can all assume that when Jesus said the poor will always be with us, he didn’t mean that therefore we should just give up trying to help people.  I also think we can assume that the people gathered in this room will continue to care for the poor and work to address the issues they face regardless of how we worship.

Recently, I’ve been acutely aware that the unsettled world is too much to respond to with just an ethical system.  At least for me.  An ethical system is supposed to produce results, but Jesus was right – results are elusive, at least on a macro level.  The poor will always be with us.  It’s like that game where a little monkey head pops up and you bat it down with a mallet, only to have another pop up somewhere else.  No matter how many problems we solve, another will pop up.  The poor will always be with us, the world will always be unsettled.  I hate this, you hate this, but it’s pretty hard to deny.

I find this overwhelming, and the only options I think I have when I’m overwhelmed with the unsettled world are to retreat from the world, which I am not willing to do, or to just get more and more angry, more and more strident, more and more pushy, more and more self righteous, work harder and harder because I think more is necessary to change the unchangeable reality that there will always be more to do.    

But what if I stopped to abide.  What if I took a breath.  Loved as lavishly as Mary did?  What if worship – the scriptures, our music, our prayers – not only made me want to eradicate poverty, but also brought me to my knees because the movement of God is so much larger and powerful than I am.  What if…what if the spirit is so powerful I am connected with the human Jesus in such a way that I can feel love for him?  What if I was moved to pour out everything I had not because it would solve the world’s problems, but because love was just pouring out of me.

This is hard for me.  Luckily, I know many of you are better at this than I am, and I can learn from you.  You do come to worship not just because you are going to find out what you are supposed to do that week, but because it does something to you that is almost mysterious.  You come because you want to sit in the presence of something larger than yourself – to connect with that.  You come not for the sermon, but for the prayer, the transcendent music, the mystery of communion.  It’s not escape; you are the same people that respond to the unsettled world with love and compassion and action.  It’s worship.  It’s resting in the mysterious movement of God…and you love that. 


Confession:
Nothing:  Sit.  Rest.  Breathe.  Take your card and put it in the offering plate blank.  Let your confession be that we confess too much, trust too much in wrong and right, think God demands right action more than love.  Use the silence to rest and abide.  Imagine yourself down on your knees pouring out perfume on Jesus because your love is so great.  Don’t think about all the ways we fail Jesus and God, think about all the reasons we have to love the divine – the divine that created this world, us, put stars in the heavens and flowers in the fields.  Love.  Abide.  All for its own sake.  Amen.