Sunday, April 20, 2014

Resurrection


Easter Sunrise Service
April 20, 2014


In this first service I thought I might reflect in a more general way on the resurrection.  It’s not an easy thing to get at.  Each year I find myself struggling with something to say about the text.  At 10:30 we will use the story from John…we just heard the story from Matthew.  I try to read the text and think about what it – in its particularity – has to say on this most holy of days.

But there is a kind of futility in that…not that that kept me from trying J.  One person compared the resurrection to the sun – we know what it is because we see the effects of it all around us, but we are not meant to look at it directly.  It’s why, in some ways, I think a worship service of poetry is more appropriate on Easter than what we will do later on.  Poetry is the medium for things that can’t be described directly.

But I think therein might lay the point of the resurrection.  God took on human form, and the world tried to nail God to a cross –to nail God down and in place, as our prayer of confession says…to reduce God in to something that could be controlled and looked at directly.  Then, the world tried to seal up God in a tomb – put God away forever.  The resurrection reassures us that God can’t be nailed down or hidden away…no matter how hard we might try.

There are many ways we try to nail God down – some are obvious:  creeds and dogma.  But some are more subtle and seductive – too often we exclude God from parts of our lives – we compartmentalize God off in a tomb somewhere.  We make God so nice that we don’t believe God has a place in war – or hell for that matter.  We contain God by choosing only images we “like”:  father, mother, soaring eagle, hen gathering her brood.  We move past images we find more troubling:  fire and judge.  We use our limited understanding of God to nail other people to crosses.  We want what God gives, but reject any idea of obedience to God.

I can’t tell you how many times I spend hours and hours carefully crafting a sermon, making sure it says exactly what I want it to say, and someone comes up to me afterwards telling me how much they loved the sermon, but their reason is not at all related to what I wanted them to hear.  In other words, I think they totally missed the point.  This used to drive me crazy.  But now I think, that’s resurrection.  Right?  My ego makes me think that I am saying something about God that people need to hear.  That is nailing God to a cross.  But luckily, God doesn’t stay nailed there very long – people shake me out of my narrow thinking and remind me that resurrection is real.

If I look around me, I notice that no matter what I do with God, God is all over the place.  God does not depend on me to exist, or move, or live.  Divine movement in this world does not come to a halt until I have figured everything out.  And nothing – no matter how terrible – can keep God from moving and living in my life. 

I love the end of Luke’s resurrection passage:  Peter was amazed.  That seems to me to be just about right for the posture we should have before God.  It doesn’t say whether Peter believed anything.  It doesn’t say if he was amazed/scared.  It doesn’t say he was amazed/ecstatic.  It doesn’t say he was amazed/angry.  Amazed can go with all those things.  An inscrutable God will cause us to feel all those things – scared, betrayed, ecstatic, angry, and more.

But always we can be amazed –surprised by the inability of the world to lock God up or wrap things up nice and tidy. 

This is what good poets know.   They know you can’t lock things down, wrap things up nice and tidy.  They leave room in poems about Easter for death.  They let secular words speak of the divine.  They find redemption in places most of us don’t look.  They use what’s around us to point to something we can’t look at directly. Then they put their words out there, knowing they will be received and interpreted in myriad ways – which is the point. 

So that’s my early morning take on resurrection:  that God, mystery, life, and hope cannot be nailed down or closed up in a tomb.  And I think that’s pretty good news.  Amen.