Sunday, July 13, 2014

Good News…For the Poor


Matthew 13:1-9, 18-23
July 13, 2014


I have some good news and some bad news.  I’ll start with the bad news:  The bad new is, there is no good news.  Those who would like to leave are welcome to go have a nice brunch. 

You see, the thing is, if we take the parable today seriously at all, it looks like about 75% of us don’t understand what God is saying to us.  And depending on who the “us” is, there’s a chance that the 25% are all outside these walls.

In the parable of the sower, the seed that the sower scatters, Jesus tells the disciples, is the word of the realm of God.  That’s kind of an odd turn of phrase I know, but it’s really saying the seed is the truth…the truth about the realm of God; what it is, who is there, and how it works.  It is the truth about what God intends for this world.

And the parable says that word – that truth – is scattered about generously.  But, most people won’t get it.  Most people.

I certainly have to admit that I can quickly come up with ways I identify with the first three types of land in the parable.  Times I have been like the path and not listened to the word at all – “Love your enemy?”  I’m sorry, I didn’t have my hearing aid turned up.  Times I have been rocky and only listened to the stuff I could handle, but when things challenged my faith, I let it go in one ear and out the other.  “The Lord is my shepherd?”  Then why haven’t you led us out of this broken mess we call war.  And, like the weedy soil, there are many comforts in my life that choke out the truth of the gospel message:  “Sell all you have and give it to the poor.”  Um, no thanks.  I’m pretty happy with my wealth and security, thank you very much. 

I have been all of them at one time or another.  I’m guessing you all can resonate with one or two of these as well.  We’re all arid, rocky, or weedy at some point. 

Now, this is the part where I’m supposed to talk about how we can become the good soil, right?  Three steps to weeding the soil of your heart.  For those of you who are out there wishing that just once in nine years it would be nice to have a sermon with three steps to anything, your waiting days are not over. 

I’m not sure there are three steps, or thirty-three steps, that will move us from where we are to being the soil that, planted with God’s word, will bring forth fruit that yields 100-fold.  I’m not sure Jesus did either.  In the verses that we skipped over, he pretty much writes off the people who just don’t get it.  This parable is not about helping people like you and me change – it’s merely describing what we are like.  Jesus only explains it to the disciples.  The rest of us are left wondering what in the world he was talking about.  In fact – again in the part we skipped – Jesus says he speaks in parables so that most people won’t understand.  So, like I said, kind of bad news – at least for the 75%.

I have to admit, when something in the bible seems to me, at first glance, like bad news, my habit is to fall back on my belief that the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus is, by definition, good news…always, no matter what.  That’s the whole point, right.  In fact, it’s my job:  proclaim the good news!  So even if it’s not immediately apparent, when a passage seems a bit hopeless to me, I think and think, study and study until I find something in the passage…some kind of good news that will speak to us all. 

But maybe I need a new habit.  I still need to look for good news, but maybe the question needs to be:  what is the good news in this passage…for the poor; for the vulnerable; for the oppressed? 

We’re talking about God’s word after all, Yahweh…the God of the enslaved Hebrew people, the God of the prophets who cried out for justice, the God who came as a poor man.  Our God is prejudice.  We don’t like to think of that, but if you read the scriptures – Hebrew bible and Christian scriptures both – this God is constantly, primarily concerned with the poor and oppressed.  Even when God is concerned with the folks of relative status and wealth, it’s because they have power over the poor and oppressed and need to learn how to treat them right.   

And then there’s Jesus – God incarnate.  Jesus makes it painfully clear what God’s word is and who it is for:
Jesus came to preach Good News to the poor.  He came to proclaim the kingdom, or realm, of God for those most in need.  It doesn’t say that Jesus came to preach good news to the poor, restore sight to the blind, release the captives, and ensure wealth and prosperity for those who work hard.

In other words he, his life, brings the word of the realm of God, but that word will only sound good to the poor, the blind, the oppressed, the imprisoned, the despised and outcast – because God’s realm will be incredible for them.

If I believe this at all – that Jesus came for the poor and vulnerable – I have to at least entertain the question of whether I, privileged…safe…secure, can ever be the good soil.  Can I, oppressor…consumer…wealthy, ever be the good soil?  Can I really take in the word of God - truth about the realm of God – and not distort it in some way in order to protect who I am and what I have?  In the realm of God, I have everything to lose.

We hold the bible dearly.  And we should.  If we have chosen to seek a life that reflects God as known in the life of Jesus, then we need the bible.  Desperately.  We need to read it, study it, probably commit the whole stinking thing to memory. 

But sometimes we hold it dearly only because of what it can do for us…for how it speaks to us.  We hold it dearly because it gives us comfort, or shows us what to do when we’re confused, or touches us with its beautiful poetry.  But the truth is, it is not always speaking equally to everyone.  Jesus has different audiences and he doesn’t say the same thing to everyone.  The one thing we know for sure is that when he is speaking about good news, he is speaking to the poor.

Every so often, we have to stop and remember that the authors of our gospels were not writing to the Romans about how to be a Christian.  They were writing to the early church community:  small, scared, oppressed.  If the gospel writers had any message for Rome at all it was not:  Here’s how to become a Christian.  It was:  Our God desires all power like yours to cease.  This was not good news for the Romans. 

And every so often, we have to stop and remember that, for the most part, most of the time, we are probably the Romans.  Sometimes the good news God has for the poor is not such great news for us.

Of course obviously I’m over simplifying.  Sometimes we are the hurting ones, the suffering ones, the outcasts, the ones who can identify with those Jesus healed, ate with, fed, and protected.  Being in this church does not mean we aren’t or never will be poor.  Being in the United States does not protect us from oppression or grief, illness or death.  I know what many of you have been through, and wealth, freedom, health are not words I would use to describe some of those experiences.

But I think that this parable is a chance for us to admit that, as a group – from a bird’s eye point of view, the highest likelihood is that we are not the good soil.  That we cannot be the good soil. 

Now, old habits die hard.  The tape that plays over and over in my head – that tells me all are loved, all are invited to be part of God’s realm, grace is a gift for all of humanity – really can’t be shut off, and I hope it never does.  So, I did try to ask what the good news is for us in this.

And I wonder if maybe the answer lies in making a shift from figuring out what kind of soil we are to wondering if we can be seeds.  That probably sounds arrogant: how can I go from saying we are not the target audience of Jesus, to claiming we are capable of being the very word of God?  Well, to start with I have, once or twice been accused of being arrogant. 

But the thing is we are who we are...this is where we start…and we do have some choices.  If we want any part in this endeavor of bringing about the realm of God – of making the field produce abundant harvest for everyone – then we have to jump in somewhere – otherwise we might as well just give up.

Jesus, our faith tradition asserts, is the living word of God – and he calls the disciples to follow his way.  To live as he does in order to scatter that word…to take the good news to the poor.  So, maybe we can jump in as would-be disciples and try to become not the good soil, at least at first, but the seed itself.  And there are three steps to becoming a seed.  Just kidding.

Though there probably is a necessary first step:  accepting the bad news that comes with becoming a seed.  The world Jesus imagines reverses everything – top becomes bottom, bottom becomes top.  So if we’re at the top, we need to hop on the escalator and go down a few floors. 

Now if we’re going to be seeds, we have to get a couple of things clear:  The word of God is not just a bunch empty feel-good words.  And we’re not talking about scattering ourselves around the world to go save the souls of the poor with God’s word.  No.  God’s word, as the author of Matthew points out, is the word of the realm of God.  It is the word that the last will be first, the powerful will become least, and peace is won through nonviolence.  It is that God, in Jesus, is bringing a revolution that will turn the current systems, values, and assumptions on their head.

And we know that revolution isn’t finished…at least not everywhere.  So, if Jesus is the one who shows us what the realm of God looks like – who shows us how to live so that it might be real – then we do need to become messengers of that revolution.  Our lives, by how we live and what values we espouse, need to speak the ideals of the realm of God.

So really, I lied before.  There is good news…it’s just not necessarily for us – at least as we might think of it.  We should see the good news of God not as a personal letter delivered to our doorstep telling us everything will be okay, but as the possibility of an entirely new world, regardless of what that new world requires of us; regardless of how our lives will be changed in the new order of things…in God’s order of things. 

But if we have to sacrifice, if it might be bad/unsettling news for us, why would we do it?  Because this world is broken.  War is seen as an acceptable route to peace.  Poverty and hunger kill every day.  Children are amassed at the border seeking a better life and unlikely to get it.  And our hearts break.  I know you all – I’ve seen it….your hearts break.  We are people whose hearts are stamped with the image of the divine…our hearts break because the very heart of the divine breaks.  And we know that this all isn’t just about us.  It’s about becoming a part of something so much larger than ourselves – becoming a part of the divine movement toward wholeness. 


If we can desire that new world as much as God does, I think we can be seeds.  I think we can give over our comforts, our wealth, our fears, our privilege in service of creating a new world – creating the realm of God.  And that’s good news…for the poor.  In fact, that’s good news… for all of creation.  Amen.