Sunday, June 2, 2013

Faith: A Paradox



Luke 7:1-10
June 2, 2013

I often use the word “faithful” to describe a life I think is congruent with our scriptures, and our understanding of God, Spirit and Jesus.  Our goal, I assume, is to live a faithful life.

But you should know that I am intentional about using the word “faithful,” and not “faith.”  I rarely use the word “faith.”  In my mind, being faithful is about how we live in each moment.  On the other hand, having faith seems to me to be about things you think or believe.    

Faith too easily, in my opinion, becomes believing in something:  scriptures, God, Jesus, Christ.  Then, faith  - the believing in – becomes enough.  That becomes the sum total of what it means to be faithful.  I have faith that God will answer prayers.  I have faith that things will get better.  I have faith that I can weather this storm.  I have faith that Jesus walks with me.  I have faith that God knows the future. 

All of these statements of faith are not necessarily wrong…for me, they’re just not enough.  I think being faithful goes far beyond having faith in someone or something else.  Being faithful seems to speak more to me about my everyday life and the decisions I make about what I do and how I live.  It just seems more practical.  My point is I’m far more comfortable talking about being faithful than I am about faith.  So, this passage challenges me a bit.  It’s pretty hard to avoid that this is about faith.  Something in the centurion’s words or actions amazed Jesus, and he called it faith. 

So “faith”:  What is it, and why does it matter?  At first glance it seems that the faith of the centurion soldier was faith in Jesus.  Faith that Jesus had the authority to heal his beloved servant – that he was the one able to heal – and faith that he would heal his servant.  It’s that simple.  Faith is believing Jesus can and will heal us, heal others.  Faith is calling on Jesus in those moments when we need him most and believing that he will save the day – because that’s what he does.

But when we look more carefully, it seems that faith is more complicated than that.  In fact, I think at the heart of this passage is a paradox that makes me dizzy.  On first hearing, we might miss the nuance of the ending of this story.  We think that because the centurion has faith that Jesus can heal his servant with just a word, and the servant is healed in the end, Jesus did, indeed, heal the servant.  But it’s not as clear as that.  Listen again to how this unfolds:  The centurion, says,

“Speak the word, and let my servant be healed. 8For I also am a man set under authority, with soldiers under me; and I say to one, ‘Go,’ and he goes, and to another, ‘Come,’ and he comes, and to my slave, ‘Do this,’ and the slave does it.”

He believes that Jesus need only say so, and the slave will be healed, because that’s how it works for the centurion in the Roman system.  But listen carefully to what comes next:

9When Jesus heard this he was amazed at him, and turning to the crowd that followed him, he said, “I tell you, not even in Israel have I found such faith.” 10When those who had been sent returned to the house, they found the slave in good health.

The only words Jesus speaks are to praise the faith of the centurion.  He doesn’t say, “be well,” “get up you are well;”  Not even “tell the centurion that I have healed the servant.”  There is nothing that would indicate Jesus did anything with the servant.  In fact, we don’t get to know explicitly who or what healed the servant.  All we know is that Jesus praised the centurion’s faith and when the friends went to the house the servant was in good health.  To me, that indicates that it was the faith of the centurion that healed the servant – not a command from Jesus. 

Now, this is not without precedent.  It’s not the only instance of someone’s faith, instead of Jesus, healing in the gospel of Luke.  In fact, there are two ways that healing happens in the gospel of Luke.  One is the way we usually think of:  Jesus touches someone, or speaks a word, and makes them well.  Jesus commands someone to get up and walk and they do.  It’s Jesus as the healer. 

But there are a number of places where Jesus makes it very clear that he is not the one who is healing – it is the faith of another.  “Your faith has made you well,” he says to the woman who was bleeding.  Your faith has made you whole, he says to a leper.  Your faith.  Not me.  This passage is one of those – your faith…not me.

Here it is the faith of the centurion soldier that brings his servant back to health.  It’s his faith, not Jesus.  But the paradox is that the faith is faith that Jesus and Jesus alone can heal.  The centurion had praiseworthy faith that was, in the end, wrong.  Dizzying.

What do I make of this paradox?  Well by definition I can’t resolve it.  It further complicates, for me, talking about faith at all.  Being faithful I get.  Having faith seems a bit more out of reach for me. 

But here’s one thing I notice about the centurion soldier, and I wonder if it doesn’t have something to do with the faith that Jesus praised:  The soldier is a powerful man in a system that recognizes power as the only thing that matters.  He, himself, gives us a glimpse of the kind of power he has.  He says “jump,” and the person asks, “how high?”  When he wants something done, he gives a command and it gets done.  But here, his power has failed him, and he reaches out beyond himself – even beyond his comfort zone – when he realizes he can’t…no matter how much power he has…do this one alone. 

When he starts to reach out, I think that’s where his faith, and healing, begin.  He asks the Jewish elders to help him.  He reaches out to his friends to talk to Jesus on his behalf.  He has to go outside of the power system – the one where all that matters is who has power over whom – and move into a system where people care for one another, regardless of who has the most or least status.  Because he reaches out, he leaves the world of the Empire, whether he knows it or not.

On one level, this all seems so obvious.  Reach out for help.  Duh.  More people are better than one.  Like those commercials with the kids:  The guy sitting at the preschool-sized table with a bunch of kids and he asks, “Which is better; more or less?”  And the kids pretty much answer, “More. Duh”  It’s supposed to be so obvious:  reach out for help when you need it.  But it’s not always natural for us.  Reaching out for help means admitting you are powerless.  Having power, believing we have power, is comforting.  It really is.  Giving that up, admitting we are powerless is not always easy, so we tell ourselves we have power – that we can fix things ourselves. 

In fact, I think there are a number of reasons we don’t reach out…even when our most beloved ones are suffering. 

Things like fear of being disappointed.  Fear of being judged and embarrassed.  Fear of rejection.  I don’t want to bother anyone.  I feel like I would be in debt to someone.  I want to fix it by myself – I have my own ideas about how to do things and I don’t want people offering alternatives.  But all these things hinder healing.

It’s easier for me to think of myself being faithful – responding to others, doing what’s right, living ethically, offering a hand to those in need.  It’s much harder for me to think that having faith has anything to do with being driven to my knees by the reality of my own inability to alleviate suffering – by my own desperation and lack of power to fix a broken world.  But that’s because it’s easier for me to think of myself as powerful.  When I’m the one in need, when I’m not able to help another, when the broken world is crushing me, what, then, does it mean to be faithful?  Well, being faithful can also mean reaching out to others. 

At some point we all become the centurion.  Maybe we’re lonely, but too embarrassed to reach out.  Maybe we watch as a loved one suffers and we can’t help them, but we worry that asking for help is abdicating our responsibility.  Maybe we’re falling behind in life, but think we can catch up if we just try hard enough.  Maybe we are hurting…ill, depressed, addicted, grieving, but fear if we reach out, we will be rejected or judged.  Maybe we are the ones with the flooded basement.  Maybe we are the ones with lives destroyed by a tornado.  Maybe we live in the midst of violence.  But we want to be on the helping end because people will look at us with admiration, not pity.    

It’s just as faithful to reach out in need as it is to respond.  It’s just as faithful to trust others as it is to be trustworthy.  This is not how we think – it’s not how I think.  But it has to do with living in a world of dependency…recognizing we live in a world where we are dependent on one another for our health and wholeness because God created a world of interdependencies.  It equalizes us.  God’s kingdom is not like a Roman army.  In God’s kingdom all are equally in need of one another and equally capable of responding to other’s needs.  It’s humbling, when you think about it.  For those of us used to being the helpers – being in power – it’s humbling to need others.  But that humility is valuable – it’s praiseworthy, according to Jesus.  It changes the way we look at each other and value one another.

Faith:  Reaching out in need and responding to others in need.  Maybe it’s a paradox, but maybe it’s not.  Maybe faith is believing that what is true – that we all need one another – is good.  Amen.